Who are we? What are our beliefs?
Who We Are
Holy Cross is a church family worshiping in Staunton Virginia. God has called us to this area to help people Encounter Jesus, Know Jesus, and Show Jesus. We would love for you to come and see what God is doing here.
Below you will find information concerning what we believe, where you can find us on Sunday mornings, where we place our priorities as a church and who our leaders are. Hopefully, that will cover anything you might want to know. The truth is however, you can only learn so much by reading a website. To truly understand who we are, what we are about, and what we say you have to come visit.
Statements of Faith
Holy Cross is a Gospel-centered church which holds to the historic expressions of Christian faith found in the classic, historic creeds of Christianity, the Apostle’s Creed and the Nicene Creed. As a part of the Protestant Reformed tradition we also hold to the system of belief set forth in the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms. In short, we believe:
1) in one God in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, who is the Creator of all things and sovereign over all He has made;
2) the absolute authority of the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, the only rule for faith and practice;
3) that we were created with great dignity to love God and each other but because of sin introduced into creation by humanity we have turned in on ourselves and are helpless to do that which we were made to, placing us in a position of guilt before God, alienated from Him, and under the curse of death;
4) that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God, is the only hope to free us from the guilt of our sin, the bondage of our corruption, and the futility of our alienation from God, and that this hope is offered to all, out of sheer grace, by faith in Jesus;
5) that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not just means for entrance into the Kingdom of God but also the principle of life within it.
6) that the glorious destiny of the world is the coming again of Christ, in glory, to finally put an end to sin and death, set the world to rights, and to bring the Kingdom of God finally and fully to the world that was made for it.
Much of what we believe has been helpfully summarized and contextualized by members of the Gospel Coalition in a format called the New City Catechism. You can find it here.
Lead Pastor Teaching Pastor
Next Generation Pastor
Community and Missions Pastor
Worship Location & Time
Midtown (Staunton) 511 Thornrose Ave, Staunton 10:00 am